Sunday, July 18, 2010

Two Sad Days

Two years ago, when I moved from a decent sized apartment to a tiny room in a townhouse I rented with two other people, I had to downsize my book collection. The first time was frustrating. I was a little sad, and pretty annoyed that I had to give up so many. All of my books except for those for class were stored in boxes in a tiny closet. Gearing up for a move now, I recognize that I still just have too many books that I will never read or read again. Most of my belongings are currently stored in plastic bins in a basement (yay...), so I need to go through them primarily to assess what I need to get when I move and how it all should be stored. The first victims of the purge are my books. I slimmed down a double stacked bookshelf and four boxes of books down to a proper bookshelf and three boxes. And I was sad. I am not typically a sentimental person, but I found myself looking at the copy of The Call of the Wild, or a copy of The Civil War (Julius Caesar), and remembering the first time I read them, and the good days associated with them. Sentimental value or not, they books can't stay. There just isn't room. Next up will be kitchen supplies. They will be MUCH easier to go through. You can only miss crappy college kitchenware so much. And I am looking forward to upgrading.

NOW. On to the knitting. First up is The Eleventh Hour Scarf [Ravelry Link]. I held some Rowan Big Wool doubled throughout on US 35 [19.0mm] needles. I will probably not use this yarn again. In 87 yards of one skein, I found 4 knots. Knitting on the huge needles was weird. My broomstick was across the room giving me the evil eye the entire time. Jealousy is not a pretty thing.

IMG_1852

Next up is another Odessa [Ravelry Link]. Knit in Malabrigo Silky Merino on US 5 [3.75mm] and US 7 [4.5mm] needles. Used size 6 seed beads, strung graciously by Elizabeth.

My hair is still wet from the shower in the first picture...

IMG_1861

IMG_1868

IMG_1870

Still not sure about the new blog name. Waiting for inspiration to strike.

1 comment:

Phantasmagoria said...

AWWW!
i totally know wht you mean by feeling frustrated at having to throw away books!

But I Finally solved that problem when i bought my Nook!

I love the sock knits from the blog below and the sequined blue hood in this one!